Monday, August 22, 2011
Ricotta Waffles with Peaches Blueberries and Granola
I guess sometimes you have to let go of structure and just let food be food on a plate.
I really love this breakfast treat because its all of my favorite components of dessert that I absolutely love. The heat of the crisp waffle and warm peaches melted the ricotta slightly and released all of the sweet flavor of vanilla bean and orange zest. For texture, the granola adds crunch a little spice with, of course, cinnamon. I hope you enjoy these recipes, but for the record, I used waffle mix and added almond extract...shhh :)
Of course you can make french toast and use the recipes, you can serve the fruit over ricotta filled crepes too.
makes 8 cups
5 cups Rolled Oats
1 3/4 cups Sliced Almonds
3/4 cups Light Brown Sugar, packed
1/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
1/4 cup Honey
2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Preheat oven to 350
1. Combine the oats, almonds and brown sugar in a large bowl.
2. Stir together oil, honey, maple syrup, extract and cinnamon. Heat in the microwave just slightly.
3. Pour the wet ingredients over the oats and almonds and mix until everything is coated.
*You can freeze half of this mixture for up to two months and bake the rest for smaller batches, which is what I do, because it is quite a lot.
4. Bake on one or two sheet pans for 15 minutes or until everything is dark golden brown. About half way through, take it out and stir the granola on the pan with a rubber spatula.
5. Once the granola is completely cool, store it in an air tight container for about a week.
Ricotta Topping-Makes 4 servings
2 oz. Cream Cheese
2 Tbsp. Goat Cheese
1/4 cup Sugar
Zest of half an orange
1/2 ea. Vanilla Bean
8 oz Ricotta Cheese
1 tsp. Almond Extract
1. Combine the first three ingredients and mix until smooth. Add the vanilla bean and the zest.
2. Mix in the ricotta and almond extract. Done!
Peaches and Blueberries in Syrup-Makes 4 servings
2 ea Large Yellow Peaches, peeled and cut into wedges
1 pint Blueberries
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Butter
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
a pinch of salt
1. Melt butter and brown sugar in a large saute pan over medium heat
2. Add the peaches and cook until tender, about 4 minutes.
3. Add the blue berries and cook one more minute and remove right before the blueberries burst.
4. Add the salt ad vanilla
4. Divide and pour fruit and syrup over each waffle.
Top the waffle with a large scoop of ricotta topping and sprinkle granola over the top. Serve immediately.